Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Craven Politician? Pat? No...

So in the last week there has been a lot of cute conversation about my identity. Let me put it out there:  I am not a city employee, I am not a government employee, I am not a campaign staffer, nor am I related to a candidate. I moved to Pittsburgh from the Philly area for school (and a boy). I am underemployed but I want to stay here. I am interested in local politics, and thought this blog would be a cool way for me to talk about stuff.  I'm not in love with any public official and I'm certainly not anybody's girl. That being said, let's move on to the issue of the day.

The thing that caught my eye the most yesterday was not the mayor's 11 point plan for Renaissance III but Pat Dowd's attack on Ravenstahl about a deal by the Pittsburgh Sewer and Water Authority or is it the Water and Sewer Authority, whatev. It sounds like Pat is accusing the mayor of shady dealings but last night, when I tuned into Channel 6,  I got another impression. Apparently the same deal Dowd accused Ravenstahl of mismanaging, Patrick actually voted for. 

Sigh.

I know that Luke haters such as my new bff Bram and that angry old man Schultz want to think that my entire purpose in life is to go after Pat Dowd but even those two (who are totally in the tank) for Patrick, have to admit Patrick doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

Can someone help me here?  As a member of council Pat was called upon to vote up or down on a bond transaction.  One would imagine that the eminent Dr. Dowd would have studied the matter thoroughly, and after consulting with a broad range of opinion makers and experts, and duly weighing the pros and cons, finally came up with the proper, educated, "thoughtful" decision. And HE VOTED YES

Now he runs for mayor and all of a sudden, the deal that he was elected by the people of the 7th council district to examine, all of a sudden, over night, it seems, becomes a bad thing. What happened Pat?

It seems to me that Pat - not raising any money, nor finding any support, nor winning over the Peduto lovers and the friends of Shields, had a sudden memory lapse. Or is he just a craven politician?  My patience is wearing thin....what's this Doc Harris all about?

More to come.


5 comments:

  1. A legitimate question. In April of 2008, in Pat's fourth month on Council, City Council had to vote to extend the life of the Water Authority out to 2047 in order to make way for this bond deal. They voted for a technicality related to it, but it's legitimate enough to say they voted for it. It passed by a 9-0 vote.

    Consider that. In April of 2008, the whole of Council was in midst of an uproar over an LED billboard, and was also on a crusade to curtail the arbitrary awarding of city take-home vehicles and fuel costs. Pat Dowd was a new Councilman. The mayor's Finance Department and Water Authority, blissfully disengaged from these other issues, were breathing down Council's neck to close on this awesome deal, while there was still time.

    The leadership of Council -- Doug Shields, Jim Motznik, take your pick -- seemed to be onboard. He went for it. Maybe he should have done and presented his homework back then. I'm glad someone's doing it now.

    Just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, Dudd is forgiven because he was new? So, if elected, Dudd should be given a pass on mistakes he makes when he's a new mayor? Doing his JOB is a pretty significant mistake. And similar consideration was never given to, say, Ravenstahl? Face it, Bram, you just hate Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gab Bonesso Blog is officially endorsing Dok Harris for Mayor.

    Why?

    Umm, he's cute and likes the teenage mutant ninja turtles...

    Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Supposedly there was a 2000 page plus packet of information on this PWSA deal. I assume this is a document in financial language, not something someone with a doctorate in history is likely to be versed in (although he was probably in better shape to read it than the other eight or Ravenstahl). And as Bram said, there was a fair bit of things happening in April. I suspect if you ask Dowd's campaign office for a copy they would let you have one, although I wouldn't be if they asked you for the hundred dollars for the copies, and for you to put the time in on the copy machine.

    I have to say Dowd has been erratic as a councilman. I have not understood all his positions. Never the less, Ravenstahl lied about the events of Halloween 2005 until the truth came out (although he still denies being intoxicated and under arrest), Ravenstahl lied about being at the Lemieux tournament until the truth came out, and I believe there are other situations like that.

    Dowd should have known better in April, but at that point he may not have wanted to burn all his bridges with the Mayor's office. More to the point, none of the other eight disagreed at the time, the Mayor and his office didn't listen to Eckert Seamens and Dowd was the one who broke this story now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Face it, Bram, you just hate Luke."

    I've been very specific and policy-oriented in my criticism of the present administration. However, I'd be interested in hearing your theory on why I just. Hate. Luke.

    I'll put what I already wrote another way -- the Mayor had a sprawling and ever-expanding Finance Department at his disposal, not to mention the Water Authority, to prepare and vet the deal. Councilman Dowd's entire office budget does not equal what ONE of the mayor's finance guys' make, never mind they're answering calls about potholes.

    And as I said, finance + water + mayor came to Council all "This is an emergency! This is routine! We're only asking you to vote on a technicality! Act now!" I agree, I'd have preferred if Dowd had revolted at that time, but the entirety of Council was fooled simply into voting to extend the life of the Water Authority, in order to enable this Swaptions deal.

    It is an executive's job to bring a good plan to the table. In this case, the Mayor brought a horrible, foolhardy, unconscionable plan to the table (considering Bear Stearns had already collapsed and Fanny & Freddy were taking on water) and lobbied hard for it. To say this mess is all Luke's fault is not to overstate the facts.

    ReplyDelete